These cute bite-sized treats are just doughnuts stealthily disguised as muffins. By nature, muffins are healthy, therefore by definition these are healthy doughnuts, a rarity I know. These are baked, unlike their deep-friend amigos, and I do use whole-wheat flour + skim milk so they’re relatively innocent.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour [if you only have white all-purpose, use that]
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk [I used skim, use whatever you have on hand]
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line mini muffin tray with paper liners or grease tray.
- In a large bowl, cream oil and 1 cup sugar; beat in egg. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Stir flour into egg mixture alternately with milk. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. While muffins bake, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Remove muffins from pan and let cool for 5 minutes. While muffins are still warm, roll muffins in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- [I was having trouble getting the cinnamon sugar mixture to stick to the muffins so I added this step] Make a simple syrup with equal parts cinnamon, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil and dip muffin tops in simple syrup. Re-dip in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Share and make instant friends.
*adapted from recipe at allrecipes.com