It was a cold, windy, rainy night here in Chicago – the perfect weather to watch some Real Housewives, catch up on magazines, and bake a batch of no-fuss brownies. Good thing I always keep a box of brownie mix in the pantry for times like this. One box of Jiffy fudge brownie mix, a handful of marshmallows, some mini milk-chocolate chips, and a dash of Reese’s pieces [mini for baking] later I had a plate of my kitchen-sink brownies. And, now my entire apartment smells like velvety chocolate, one of the upsides of living in a small space.
- 1 box Jiffy fudge brownie mix [makes enough brownies for 2-3 people]
- per box instructions: 1 egg + 1 tbsp water + 2 tbsp oil
- handful of mini marshmallows, plus reserve handful to sprinkle on top towards the end
- handful of Reese’s pieces [the mini kind you find in the baking aisle]
- handful of mini milk-chocolate chips*
*as the name of the brownie implies, add whatever sweet ingredients you have. no need for a trip to the grocery store on a night like this.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly. Pour into greased mini loaf pan [Jiffy says to use a 9"x 5" loaf pan but mine was even smaller and it turned out fine]. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Sprinkle mini-marshmallows on top and broil for 3-4 minutes until marshmallows are nicely toasted. Let cool completely. Here’s a tip I learned – if you dip a knife in cool water it makes it so much easier to cut.