Perfection in a few words:
- The delicious smell of a pot roast plugging away in the crock pot [recipe below]
- The triumphant feeling of finding a pumpkin patch not too far from Chicago [Bengston's is only an hour drive... totally worth it] – I had to post some photos from our outing:
who doesn't love a good goat on a roof sighting?
bengston's, our patch of choice, + the tiny head of my wonderful bf
- Homemade salted caramel hot cocoa [recipe below]
- A great glass [or two] of rich red wine
- Going to a football game with a thick sweater and a cozy scarf wrapped around my neck
- Taking a long walk with my mom while watching the leaves fall
- Catching up on some good books indoors under a soft blanket
- Hearty homemade chili in front of a roaring fire
What are your ideas of fall bliss?
my darling niece + her pumpkin
Easy-as-Pie Pot Roast for Two [+leftovers]
- 2.5 lb. pot roast
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup [if possible get low-sodium, that makes it easier to control the sodium content in this dish as it's prone to over-saltiness]
- 1 package of dry onion soup mix [ditto]
- 1 can of diet coke [or use regular... diet was just what I had on hand]
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- carrots [as much as you'd like]
- mushrooms [ditto]
Rub roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder [it's okay if roast is frozen]. Drizzle some olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, drop in garlic cloves. After several minutes remove garlic cloves and add roast to pan. Sear on both sides.
While roast browns up, pour diet coke in crock pot. It sounds bizarre, but trust me this is the secret ingredient that no one, absolutely no one, will be able to put a finger on… I think the carbonation tenderizes the meat and the sweetness lends additional flavor. Okay now where were we - Line bottom of crock pot with onion slices, mushrooms, and carrots [I will say this is the first time I've used carrots and mushrooms in my pot roast recipe and they add such a depth of flavor - they're an absolute must from now on]. In a bowl, mix mushroom soup with onion soup mix. Remove roast from pan and coat in mushroom soup mixture. Place in crock pot with a layer of onions on top. Throw in garlic cloves and the rest of your mushrooms and carrots. Fill the [now empty] mushroom soup can with water and pour around roast.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Pour over brown rice or mashed potatoes and dig on in.
Homemade Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa
- chewy caramel candies [2 per cup o'cocoa]
- 2 cups milk [use your favorite kind of milk]
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- vanilla extract
- handful milk chocolate chips
- kosher salt
In a saute pan simmer milk, sugar, and dash of vanilla extract. Add chocolate chips, a couple marshmallows, and one piece of caramel, stir to melt all. In separate pan melt one piece of caramel with dash of water. Add to chocolate mixture. Pour into a nice, big mug and add a pinch of kosher salt on top. Yum!
Wishing you the coziest of fall nights,